TEXT

Have I done any good in the world today? If not, I have failed indeed! Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
If you read one of my blog posts, please leave a comment down at the bottom and share it with your friends! Thank you!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Why It Makes Sense - Tithing

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." -Malachi 3:10

Since ancient times, people have been tithed. Whether it be in cattle, produce, coin, or currency, paying tithing has always been a commandment of the LordWe see in the Book of Genesis that Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek


Through modern-day revelation, we are told that tithing is willingly giving one-tenth of one's income annually to the Lord through His Church. Tithing is paid on the ten percent of all your income, not on what is left after you pay rent, taxes, your grocery bill, or any other expenses. My mom always said when I was growing up, "We pay our tithing on the first ten percent of the money me make." When you get your paycheck, set aside ten percent of to put toward your tithing.

To donate tithes, we put our tithing funds inside of a tithing envelope with a tithing slip then give it to a member of the bishopric. After totaling up the tithing funds two members of the bishopric go to the bank and deposit the tithing money.


"Does the tithing money go to the bishop and his counselors?"


The answer to that question would be, "No." Tithing funds are used to build up the kingdom of God on the earth.


According to Mormon.orgThe law of tithing is how the Lord funds His Church. Today all faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contribute one tenth of their income as tithing. Tithing funds are used for:



Tithing envelopes are to be given only to a member
of your ward's bishopric. They are sacred funds,
and are not to be placed under the clerk's door.

God doesn't really need our money. I'm sure if He wanted to buy something He wouldn't have to check His bank account before using His debit card to make a purchase. He wants us to learn and understand the principles of obedience and sacrifice. "Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven."


"So why pay tithing? I guess paying money to the church could help a lot of people, but what do I get out of it?"


Well, in those verses from Malachi we are promised a couple of things. First, we are promised by the Lord if we pay our tithes, He will "open the windows of Heaven" to us. What that sounds like to me is revelation. When we pay our tithing faithfully, we will be more open to the revelation God is trying to give usWe are promised in the Book of Mormon if we seek the Kingdom of God before seeking riches, we will find riches if we will do good things with them.

From Jacob 2:18-19:


18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.


19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good--to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.


Relying on the Lord for all of your needs
will bring you great spiritual power.
When we learn to rely of the Lord, we will truly begin to prosper. As we sacrifice our temporal possessions, God will bless us with spiritual power. I've always said, "The more you give the Lord, the more He gives back."

Another part of Malachi's promise is that the Lord will pour out so many blessings from Heaven we won't even have enough room to receive them. This is one of the greatest gifts we could receive from our Heavenly FatherYou see, the Lord blesses us with what we are in need of. If we are in need of food, He's not going to give us a new car. If we need money to pay rent, He'll bless us with money to pay rent, or a new job, or tax returns. If we need health, He's not just gonna give us revelation; He'll also bless you with health. My mother always told me, "If you pay your tithing, you'll always have what you need." My mother gets it. To read more about my mother and her understanding of gospel knowledge, CLICK HERE!


All of the blessings received from tithing such as revelation and the windows of heaven are great and all, but personally, the greatest blessing I receive from paying a full tithe is being able to have a temple recommendIf I didn't pay my tithing fully, I couldn't go to the temple. If I couldn't go to the temple, I can't be sealed to my family for all eternity. Because I do pay my tithing and am worthy of a temple recommend, however, I can go to to the temple with my family, I can learn from the Lord as His Spirit instructs me in His temple, and I can do work to redeem my deceased ancestors who have passed on.



A family that "pays" together
stays together.
Even if I didn't get any of the other blessings promised except for having a temple recommend, I would be satisfied. The Lord's house is so special. In it we receive the Lord's blessings that we can't obtain in any other way or any other place.

I know tithing is a true and inspired principle of this gospel. If it was 20, 40, or heck, even 100 of my income, I would still pay it because I know the Lord will always take care of me if I am obedient to what He asks. I wouldn't give up the blessing of being able to go to the Lord's house for all the money in the world. Do you have enough faith to sacrifice 10 of your income for the Lord? He's given everything He had, what are you willing to do for Him?




1 comment:

  1. Once again Elder Hill you are dead on. I also asked some inactive's why they continue to pay a full tithe and their answer was, " it's our insurance! and we can't be without!" so there you have it. Plus, the time old saying, it was never ours to begin with! We start from nothing and we end with nothing, well sorta, except our knowledge but you know what I mean, I hope. Keep up the good work. Hugs Elder H!
    sistermamaruth!

    ReplyDelete