TEXT

Have I done any good in the world today? If not, I have failed indeed! Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
If you read one of my blog posts, please leave a comment down at the bottom and share it with your friends! Thank you!

Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Lifetime Commitment

Gospel related conversations are easy to start!
"So what is it that makes you stay in your religion?"

 "What do you mean?"

"Well, first you have to go to church for three whole hours on Sunday, then multiple hours a week for other jobs and responsibilities."

"Yeah, so?"

"And you also have to give up one tenth of your income to the church."

"Well, I've found the more you give the Lord, the more he gives back!"

"Not to mention all of the rules labeled as so called commandments that take all the fun out of life! You can't drink, smoke, or have sexual relations outside of marriage."

"Those things aren't really too appealing to me in the first place."

"You also have to read that book that Joe Smith supposedly translated from those golden tablets he found! Isn't the Bible enough?"

"The Bible is the word of God, yes, but the Book of Mormon does so much more than just tell stories and teachings of Jesus. And the church I belong to, the responsibilities I have, and the standards I hold myself to, it's more than just a Sunday thing; it's a lifetime commitment."

It's really that easy to set up an appointment
for the missionaries. Try it and see!

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"I actually have to get running pretty soon, but I'd love to continue our conversation. I'll tell you what. I have two great friends I'd like you to meet. Do you mind if I bring them by to meet you, let's say... Tuesday at 7:00?"

"Sure, I guess. See you then!"

* * *

[Tuesday at 7:00]

*KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK*

"Hey there, how's it going?"

"Pretty well. I brought my friends along to meet you! Mind if we come in?"

"Sure... Wait. Hold the phone. Your friends are the Mission Mormonaries?"

"Yep, that's us. We prefer to be called Elders, or at least 'Mormon missionaries.' Hi, I'm Elder Hill. Glad to meet you, my friend! Boy, do we have an important message for you!"

"Ugh. Well come on in."

* * *

"So you guys can't watch TV right?"

"Right, but that's not even a fraction of what we can and can't do!"

"You're kidding me."

"Nope. We have a 68 page handbook stating what we are and aren't allowed to do. In addition to not watching TV, we also can't go swimming, read the paper, play video games, date girls, call home (other than Mothers Day or Christmas), surf the internet (except for Church approved websites), listen to music that isn't conducive to the Spirit, wear normal clothes, light fireworks or other explosives, go horseback riding, ride on private boats, leave the mission boundaries without permission, shoot or handle firearms, attend sporting events or keep score while playing sports, go horseback riding, ice skating, skiing, or snowboarding, or pretty much anything else you could think of that normal people do for fun. We're not even supposed to chew gum."

You can't even chew gum?
"So if you can't do any of that, what CAN you do?"

"We do lots of things! Our daily schedule is as follows: We wake up every morning at 6:30 AM and exercise for 30 minutes. After that, we shower and eat breakfast and prepare for the day. For two hours after that we have our study time, where we read the scriptures, listen to conference talks, talk about those we teach, roleplay lessons, and confirm our plans for the day. At 10 AM we go out proselyting, come back to take a lunch break for an hour, then go back out and start again. In our free time we visit leaders and members of the local ward, or congregation, try to find people to teach, teach lessons, and so on. We have dinner for an hour every day at 5PM, then for the rest of the night we go back out and teach whoever will let us in. At 9:00 PM we return home and plan for the next day for around 30 to 45 minutes. Then, we have to be in bed by 10:30. The next day we do it all over again.

Oh, and on Thursdays we have a three hour meeting to plan out our week, and on Friday we have another meeting in the morning where we are trained on stuff. We also have to attend all three hours of church for each ward we cover, which can sometimes last up to six hours straight.

"Wow, that's quite the full time job you've got there. They must pay you pretty well!"

"Oh, we don't get paid for any of this. In fact, we have to pay to be out here! Most missions cost about $400 a month or $10,000 total, not including any other personal expenses."

"What?! Why on Earth would anyone want to leave home for two years, having to do all of that, and not get payed for it?"

"Because I know what I teach is true. If I didn't, I would be back at home playing video games and hanging out with my friends and family. But because it is true, I decided that I had better do something about it."

"But how do you know it is true? You can't honestly believe everything the Church tells you to teach, can you?"
You can know through prayer if
what we taught you is truw.
"I do. And you can know it too."

"How?"

"How everyone can know it is true. Read the Book of Mormon, ponder the message it contains, then ask God in prayer if the book is true. If you do your part, God will tell you if it is true or not."

"You said you know it is true, but you can't really know know it's true. You just have to believe. You've never seen an angel have you?"

"When I say 'I know' what I teach is true, I mean it. I don't just have to believe. I might not know everything to know about Church history, or everything about the gospel, and I can't quote the Book word for word in its entirety, but what I do know is that the Book of Mormon is true.

If the Book of Mormon is true, that means Joseph Smith saw God and His Son Jesus Christ. If he saw Them, that means he was called as a prophet. If he was called as a prophet then this is God's true church upon the face of the earth today!

I know the Book of Mormon is true not because I have seen an angel or had a grand display of God's power. I haven't seen Christ or heard His voice tell me it is true. I haven't felt the nail prints in His hands with my own. But I know the Book of Mormon is true and I know Christ lives because of something even more powerful than seeing an angel or touching the gold plates. I know because I have felt the power of the Holy Ghost bear divine witness to me the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon on numerous occasions."

"What? You're crazy! You're saying a feeling you got inside your body is more powerful than seeing things? You could have just had some bad pizza!"

"Fair enough. Well, do you remember the stories in the Bible of when Christ did mighty miracles?"

"Yes, of course!"

Everything we teach is centered
on the life and teachings of
Jesus Christ.
"Do you also remember how the people hated Christ and killed him for doing the things He did?"

"Yes, I do remember that. What's your point?"

"Hundreds or even thousands of people saw Christ do miracles. He healed the sick, gave the blind their sight, raised the dead, turned water into wine, fed thousands with a few fish and loves of bread. If He did all of that, how could people still not believe? How could they still kill Him?

This is proof to me that seeing does not convert, only the Holy Ghost does.

"You've got a point. I guess I never looked at it like that."

"You see, the reason I do what I do is because I know what I teach is true. I know by the power of the Holy Ghost. Because I know, I act on the knowledge I have. Because I know, I am on my mission. Because I know, I read the Book of Mormon and go to church and pray. Because I know, I pay my tithing, live the Word of Wisdom, and obey the Law of Chastity. And because I know, I am sitting in your living room talking to you about it.

Now that I have explained how I know what I teach is true, would you like to learn more?"

"That's really powerful stuff. I guess why that's why my friend called your religion a 'lifetime commitment'. Once you know, you will want to live it for the rest of your life. Yes, I would like to learn more."
____________________________________________

The Invitation

Although this story and the exchange of dialogue never happened, it still illustrates a great point. Just as the person in the story wanted to know for himself the things I know to be true, you too can take my invitation and learn more about the gospel and Church of Jesus Christ.

If you are reading this and are not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or are a less active member of the church, please invite the missionaries into your home. Let them teach you. Their visits will change your life forever.

You don't know what to expect? Well let me take you through it...

For the first visit, the missionaries will try to get to know you a little bit. This is so they will better know how to teach according to your needs, and so you will be able to take full advantage of their visits. Please be open and honest with them. They are there to help you. They can't help you unless you are open with them.

During the first visit and other visits, the missionaries will share with you one of the five missionary lessons.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families.
The lessons are:
1) The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
2) God's Plan of Salvation
3) The Gospel of Jesus Christ
4) The Commandments

The fourth lesson is usually broken up into a couple of lessons for time and convenience. The commandments are: The Word of Wisdom, The Law of Chastity, the Law of Tithing, and the Ten Commandments.

There is a fifth lesson, which is usually taught after baptism. It simply teaches about church structure, callings and responsibility within the church, and family history and temple work, just to name a few examples.

These visits generally take about 30 to 45 minutes total, and the lessons only takes about 20 minutes to teach. Each lesson begins and ends with a prayer, and the missionaries will make invitations to you as directed by the Holy Ghost.

How can you know if it's true if
you aren't willing to listen?
Some things the missionaries may invite you to do during a lesson are: be baptized, read the Book of Mormon, pray to Heavenly Father, attend local church meetings, and keep the commandments.

If you have any questions or concerns, you may ask the missionaries. They will, to the best of their abilities, try to answer your questions. They are not perfect teachers by any means, but they are servants of the Lord. As they teach you, you will begin to recognize them as such.



If you are willing to learn for yourself the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, please visit


and fill in this box to invite the Lord's servants into your home:



You don't have to accept our message. We can't force you to do anything. But if you do accept us into your home, even for one lesson, we promise you will want to learn more.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! Its completely awesome! Just avoid that bad pizza lolol I am already a member so I accept your message. I am actually leaving on a mission to Rapid City South Dakota on march 5th! I wish I had someone to refer but I don't :P Stay super and "endure to the end"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the LDS Missionaries facebook page and I thought it was so beautiful, because it is the Holy Ghost that testifies of Jesus Christ and of gospel truths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a member and have been sharing with friends on Facebook about the gospel this will help very much.

    ReplyDelete